Bible Search
A Brief History of Our Church

As waves of German-American settlers moved into the Piedmont of North Carolina in the early 1800's, they began to form congregations of worship.  St. Stephens was the fifth Lutheran church in Catawba County when it was organized in 1837.  Originally called Miller's Lutheran (for the land benefactor), the congregation went thru two splits before the church evolved into the three churches that are now located on the original church land:  St. Stephens ELCA, Miller's NALC, and St. Stephens Missouri Synod.

The timeline going forward for our congregation includes:

1909 - One hundred members dedicated a sanctuary.
1935 - Our first full time pastor was hired (prior pastors were shared with other parishes).
1952 - Our Scout Hut was constructed for the Boy Scouts.
1955 - Our current sanctuary was dedicated.
1962 - Our current educational/recreation building was dedicated.
1980 - Our current chapel was dedicated.
1994 - Our church vans were purchased.
1997 - Our picnic shelter was completed.

We have deep connections with the founding of the Trinity Village Assisted Living / Skilled Care Facility (which sits west of our property).   The Via de Cristo renewal movement has a strong presence in the lives of our members.  In addition, our parish has a strong outreach to both our local Hickory community and to world-wide relief efforts.

We have two Sunday worship services:  A Contemporary Worship service in our chapel at 8 am and Traditional Worship service in our sanctuary at 10:30 am.   Our major emphasis on Christian Education continues with Sunday School for all ages at 9:15 each Sunday. 

God has continued to richly bless our efforts and our ministries; forging strong bonds of friendship and community among our members as we continue God's work in the Hickory area.  God is good!

Contents © 2017 St. Stephens Lutheran Church, ELCA | Church Website Provided by mychurchwebsite.net | Privacy Policy